It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Pros And Cons Of Scream
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 21:06 

I honestly don't get why people hate IKWYDLS. It's not as smart as Scream, but does it have to be? It isn't a satire and takes itself more seriously as a horror movie. Unlike Urban legend, I was never under the impression that it tried to imitate Scream, except for maybe using popular teen idols. In my opinion it's a very effective old school slasher movie. The Sarah Michelle Gellar chase scene is every bit as suspenseful (or even more) as the opening scene of Scream.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 21:09 

IWYDLS was written by Kevin so it can't be that bad. I think it's really good.

Completed Screenplays:
Bloody Mary

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 23:45 

IKWYDLS is sooooo stupid. The best scene is the opening credits followed by the Sarah Michelle Gellar chase scene. But I mean giving someone a haircut is not horror.

The book is a good psychological thriller and should be re-adapted properly.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 08:16 

RedRightHand wrote:
IKWYDLS is sooooo stupid.

Oh yeah, that's a great argument, but I honestly don't see what's "sooooo stupid" about it. It's a throwback to old school teen slasher films, ofcourse there are going to be things like teens making stupid decisions and an invincible killer.

RedRightHand wrote:
But I mean giving someone a haircut is not horror.

Who says it's not? It's called build-up of suspension. And come on, it's not the 'haircut' itself that's supposed to freak her out, but the fact their stalker was able to come that close to her without her noticing. Not every horror movie needs limbs flying all over the place. This isn't Saw or something, IKWYDLS is actually more of a murder mystery thriller in the first half of the movie.

I can get not liking the movie, but the hatred for it seems to be very much exaggerated. I certainly think it's unfair to call it a "Scream rip-off", except that it's written by Williamson I don't see the similarities. Halloween and Friday 13th have the same flaws, but people call those classics. I've actually re-watched some of those classic 70s/80s teen slashers recently, and IKWYDLS surpasses them in every way: better acting and pacing, tighter plot, better script and dialogue, more suspense and action, better killings, better cinematography, less suspension of disbelief. So I honestly don't get people's standards for teen slashers. I also remember quite some reviews not being negative back then, but suddenly it's one of the worst horror movies? It's like people calling Rebecca Black's 'Friday' the worst song ever. It's not great, but have these people actually heard music before?

RedRightHand wrote:

Well, I'm not saying it shouldn't, but that doesn't make IKWYDLS a bad teen slasher. It is what it is and it doesn't pretend to be anything more. I think it's very effective in what it tries to be, a teen slasher.

Last edited by Stratego on 21 Nov 2011, 13:34, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 11:12 
Pro - Scream made me realize that there is a big world out there, and I actually think Scream was the first horror movie I ever came across, as I tend to avoid them all together. And then, after 'Halloween' plays, I watched Halloween and one film ran into the next and now...I'm with you guys!!! :)

Cons - Every time the phone rings when I am alone, and I don't have the person's caller ID, I tend to not answer.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 10:28 

Smashley wrote:
Quote:
Tatum kicks the shopping cart out of the way, blindly. It rolls
down the road by itself, gaining speed on a decline running smack
into the GHOST MASKED FIGURE who stops the cart cold with one
hand.

So glad that didn't make it into the movie, haha.

And especially their conversation before that, really glad it didn't make it into the movie.

Principal Himbry: You're absolutely right. It is not fair. Fairness would be to rip your insides out and hang you from a tree so we can expose you for the heartless, desensitized little shits that you are!
The MPAA: Ruining horror movies since 1968

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 10:35 
I have to say that personally, the pro is also the biggest con when it comes to Scream, for me. The self aware teens get way too ridiculous when it comes to referencing and mentioning films, that it sometimes take out of the 'realistic' feel the films have. It gets worse as the films progress, and even though it doesn't hurt the films for me, it is still a con.

Oh, and Ghostface following Sidney, and Tatum in the bushes and grocery shop. I mean wtf were they thinking?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 12:31 
^ I don't like that scene either. After the murders and the towns reaction to the costume, I'm sure someone wandering around in a costume in the middle of town would have been taken down fairly quickly ;)

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 23:36 

RedRightHand wrote:

You do know the reason the author wrote it is because her child was killed in a hit and run and the case went unsolved, right?

"Don't forget you come from nothing."

"This is still that place that we all call home."

"Don't pay no mind to the demons."

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 23:38 

RedRightHand wrote:

supahbitch wrote:
RedRightHand wrote:

You do know the reason the author wrote it is because her child was killed in a hit and run and the case went unsolved, right?

You do know that RRH was referring to the movie, and not the book, right? :?

On Hold
TTF Swoothie MAPDL
S4:R-Soon
Black Christmas-Soon

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 00:12 

supahbitch wrote:
RedRightHand wrote:

It wasn't a hit and run, It was a shoot and scoot. You can go to unsolved.com go to the murder section and view the case by clicking on Kaitlyn Arquette.

Principal Himbry: You're absolutely right. It is not fair. Fairness would be to rip your insides out and hang you from a tree so we can expose you for the heartless, desensitized little shits that you are!
The MPAA: Ruining horror movies since 1968

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 00:20 

supahbitch wrote:
RedRightHand wrote:

What does that have to do with anything?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 00:21 

Pros (no one mentioned this yet): Loved the soundtrack to the film! It really set the mood and made the teenage elements more realistic and the movie darker in some parts. The best part of this movie, in my opinion, is the end when Sidney shoots Billy for a final time and we hear sirens in the distant. Then, Gale gives her impromptu newscast as First Cool Hive plays and we pan over the sunset, which provides a feeling of relief that all the darkness and tragedy and terror is over (for now) . I also love the credits with Whisper to a Scream. It all just topped off this wondertastic movie.

Cons: The only thing I can think of is that I felt like some of the teen dialogue was too forced, but only in a very few parts.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 06:41 

supahbitch wrote:
RedRightHand wrote:

I think you're a little confused here. Lois Duncan's book was published in 1973, her daughter got shot to death in 1989, a case which is indeed still unsolved. Also, I think most of her books are suspense novels and she had been begun writing those long before her daughter's murder. So that's certainly not the reason she wrote IKWYDLS. Her daughter's murder, however, does seem to be the reason she hated IKWYDLS being turned into a slasher so much.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 13:14 

pros
despite the cons the whole film is a pros

cons
Casey stops running to safety before Ghostface crashes through the fence knocking her over

a goof that's really obvious when we see the killers mask for the first time but when he's chasing after Casey it is a completely different one

Casey getting ready to watch horror films when she had school next day

when Casey screams for her mum why didn't she just throw the phone in her direction to get her attention?

too much time passes with no one dying between Casey's death to the principals however in hindsight this made the tension much better

the lack of details of Maureen's murder (Scream 3 gave us much more of a clear picture) but still

Ghostface stalking Sidney & Tatum at the store & at Sidney's house on the porch why didn't he just attack them? fair enough he couldn't at the store but why not when they were on the porch?

Tatum not running to safety through the door leading into the garage as it would have been clearly unlocked because the killer entered that way also she could have escaped through the garage doors