It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 08:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Why is Randy such a popular character?
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 16:14 

Kirby4Ever wrote:
I think some fans' obsession with him attributes to his hatred by other fans a bit. It's like with the Kirby situation. When we ended up with dozens of topics and endless conversations about how awesome she was and whether or not she died, some people just started to get annoyed with her all together. I think it's the same with Randy sorta. He was a great character, but people couldn't accept his death and complained so much that he got to appear in Scream 3, despite his character's brutal death in the previous film. I think it's just the fact that he's overrated by a lot of fans makes him underrated to others.

Thank you for this thought. Not to get off topic, but it just made me realize why I get annoyed with all the "Kirby is alive" and "Kirby is awesome" stuff. I don't even hate Kirby, and didn't really started judging her until people started saying she was better than Sidney.

Honestly though, even before I found out many people love Randy, I already loved Randy myself, so it wasn't like anyone had to "convert" me. Everyone above who's pointed good things about him are correct. I'll also add though, that the fact that he never got the girl made me sympathize and hope that I could've given him happiness (if he was a real person, that is). I kept thinking, "Darn it, Sid. Why can't you see what I see?" Also, I tend to like the innocent type of guy. Of course, that was before I found out the Karen Kulcheck stuff, but I'd say overall he is still innocent in that he didn't really have much experience with girls. I was really heartbroken when he died but glad he "spoke from beyond" in Scream 3 as though he was still there in spirit.

And this has nothing to do with Jamie. I don't like how Jamie looks nowadays. Age hit him too hard. *sigh*

Last edited by SpoilersForCarsOnly on 01 Mar 2012, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 16:25 

[quote="RepoManVsTheWorld"]Ok, I'm about to commit grand Scream-fan treason.quote]

In the most overrated Scream character poll, I chose not only Randy, but Sidney as well (come on! Almost no one has said anything bad about her! No character's that perfect!)

That's even bigger Scream treason. More like a declaration of war if anything.

Complete Project
Stab 5

Works in progress

Horror Icons: part 1
Tagline: On Earth everyone can hear you Scream

Almost Dawn
Tagline: They didn't make the rules...SHE did.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 17:15 

I found that poll you're talking about and... ah ha! I committed a treason over there too!

Now I'm hiding here.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2012, 18:17 

I like randy because he is my favorite character, hence my username, and is comedic sometimes.reason for him being my fav is we're a lot alike and only time I disagreed with Neil being dead in scream 1

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 17:35 

I was one of those people who loved Randy before I knew about all the "obsessives"! In retrospect I shouldn't be surprised, he does represent a lot of the horror fans :D
But I also never really got over his death in the sequel. I can understand them wanting to shake things up, but I would have loved him to see it to the end of the film at least. And well...I did want to see "the geek get the girl", at least for a little while, as corny as it is haha.
I can understand people finding him annoying too, but for me he just came across as highly entertaining. I'm happy he's as popular as he is!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 14:00 

never understood the love, I think he was one of the worst