x
It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 10:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Identifying Original and Early Run GhostFace Tagged Masks
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 15:34 

This is something I have been working on for a while now, understanding and identifying Original and Early Run GhostFace tagged masks from more recent ones. The black/red Ghost Face tag line was the longest running Ghostface/Scream line produced by Fun World and as a result a lot of times it makes identifying whether you have in your collection or are looking at a mask made in 1999/2000 or a mask made in 2009.

The 1st thing to look at is the hangtag. There is a key difference between Original and early run masks made around the time of Scream 3 and masks made several years after Scream 3 in the long period before Scre4m.

In the picture you will notice with the top tag there is a small TM logo next to the Ghost Face text, this is the early Unregistered Trademark logo that was present on the earliest Ghost Face licensed items after the name Ghost Face and the mask was 1st joined as a Trademark at this time. Later masks have an R with a circle around it for Registered Trademark next to Ghost Face. I'm going to discuss TM tagged masks here as these as a rule are the earliest version of the GhostFace tag.

Above are two of the earliest masks that were released on the GhostFace tag. These masks are run from the same molds that masks normally associated with the Fearsome Faces esq ASIS 'As Seen In Scream' hangtag. Their paint is consistent with the Pink Tag version of ASIS masks with the unpainted bridge of the nose that was consistent with most masks made in the Fearsome Faces era and right after. The mask on the left in the above pic is a non-glow mask even though it's hangtag has the "Glows In The Dark!" star. Thus far I have not been able to locate another non-glow version of an ASIS mold mask. The mask on the right is a standard Glow In The Dark mask. Masks of this type are extremely hard to find with GhostFace tags.

The above mask is the 1st new mold post 'As Seen In Scream' mask. This is what is commonly known as an "Original Run GhostFace" mask. These masks have very deep cheek bones and are much more 3 dimensional looking as compared to earlier ASIS masks and later Post Scream 3 masks that followed it. Also the inside of the nose is painted with a triangular shape more like Fantastic Faces masks as opposed to the more Fearsome like of having the unpainted dimple at the bridge of the nose. Now I have only been able to find Non-Glow versions of this particular mask with GhostFace tags attached. However I do have what I believe to be a very rare copy of this mask that is a Glow with the Fearsome like ASIS tag attached. The Original run GhostFace Mask is the reshoot mask for Scream 3. You see it quite a bit in the opening kill which was reshot with the deaths of Cotton Weary and his girlfriend.

These last two are the earliest Post Scream 3 masks. The one on the left appears to have been run from a mold that was made using the Original Run GhostFace Mother Mold but it was a shallower impression then the original mold so it doesn't have the deep cheekbones but everything else looks identical. The other appears to come from another new Mother mold. Both of these masks have a different feel to them then the masks made earlier. The ASIS style masks and the Original Run Ghostface the plastic of the mask feels like Fearsome Faces masks. It's hard to explain but if you have a Scream 2 era Fearsome Faces mask you'll know what I mean. The 1st three mask types I've shown you feel like Fearsomes. The last two feel different, it's a different type of plastic. Now the look and finish of the one on the left is identical to the Original Run GF but it feels different. The mask on the right not only feels different it is finished with a very glossy white mask and the black painted areas went from a semi-gloss finish to an extremely glossy finish with this run.

Differences with sewn in tags on the masks:

This is the tag type that is sewn into the ASIS style and Original Run GhostFace. The tags can be found on the outside of the hood in the back like most ASIS masks or on the inside of the hood.

1st and 2nd Run Post Scream 3 Masks. (1st run flat finish, 2nd run Glossy)

By matching up the mask details, the TM GhostFace hangtag, and the sewn in tags you can identify that you have a Scream 3 or early Post Scream 3 GhostFace tagged mask made in the late 90's early 2000's up to 2002 or so, versus masks with similar hangtags made all the way up to 2010. This information is most useful and pretty straight forward with tagged masks. Untagged can be a little more tricky. Also of note is the Savers Metallic masks made in 2011 and 2012 use hangtags that have the TM instead of the R next to GhostFace. I believe this is due to Fun World using a digital template of the original Metallic masks hangtag which is similar and forgot to swap out the TM with the R in error. No big deal though as the new ones have the "Made in _2011 or _2012 dates below the barcode on the back.

If you have an early TM style GF tagged mask that isn't covered above please share it. These are all standard EU stamped masks. I believe that (MK) and possibly (T) masks were also being made when GhostFace TM tags 1st appeared.

I have been waiting for Tim Wagstaff who has regular contact with RJ Torbert to ask when exactly GhostFace went from being an Unregistered TradeMark to a Registered Trademark to better identify when the more recent R version of the tag 1st appeared. My best guess without that info from Fun World that the TM versions cut off in 2002 or so and that is based off of the different generation masks that I have been able to identify and confirm by finding multiple matching copies that have the same traits. My best guess is the TM version of the tag 1st appeared for the 1999 Halloween season. I will update to confirm this info once I hear from Mr Wagstaff or someone else that can get reliable information of this sort from RJ Torbert.

My Collection: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8701

Masks 4 Sale Or Trade: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10965&p=411738#p411738

Post subject: Re: Identifying Original and Early Run GhostFace Tagged Mask
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 23:10 

Thank you very much for posting this...

I have several pre-Scream 4 Ghostface masks tagged, and I always wondered which ones were early run or not.

Checked out my masks and - I have TWO tagged Ghostface "TM" masks!

These masks do not have the "Glows in the dark!" star on their tags.

Scroll the video below to 0:54 seconds and enjoy...

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 10:09 

very good informative post, good reading, well researched. Ive always thought about them tags and dates etc, so thanks for that post it was excellent.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 18:24 

Loved it! As mmtuk said, VERY informative! :)

My name is Jack, I'm a professional prop weapons, and costume maker. I've done work for many movies such as Tomb Raider, Friday the Thirteenth, and The Halloween series. Also I love the scream movies! I hope to learn some thing I didn't know before!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 13:13 

Great post StillScreamingInMI. I found this info very helpful! I looked at my tagged masks, I have two Ghostface TM tagged, and five Ghostface R masks, one which is a non glow, all the rest glow. :)

Billy: Now Sid, Don't you blame the movies, movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more
CREATIVE!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 15:42 

good to see u back paul!!!!!! #stillscreaming

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 18:59 

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm happy you found it of interest.

Also have any of you looked at your inner tags to see if your masks are Scream 3/Original GF or Post Scream 3 masks? Also if you find something that isn't covered here with the TM tag please post it.

My Collection: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8701

Masks 4 Sale Or Trade: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10965&p=411738#p411738

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 07:43 

Good thread for those not confident identifying the different types of Ghostface masks Tim ;)