x
It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 19:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The killer was given away!!!
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 18:21 

I don't know. I always liked the idea of Debbie Salt being the killer in Scream 2, and I liked Laurie Metcalf's performance up until the reveal.

I remember being quite disappointed when I saw Scream 2 in the theater, because I thought Metcalf played it so over-the-top it became camp. I think that could have been a much more dark, twisted and tragic character, but it comes across as so broad I still laugh at her during the climax.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 13:42 

Another hint besides the "I killed Tatum" look I always found to be when they're discussing Casey & Steve's murders by the fountain at school and Stu says: "I didn't kill anybody" and Billy replies "Nobody says YOU did." I take that to mean that Billy killed her for Stu.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 19:20 

casper wrote:
I don't know. I always liked the idea of Debbie Salt being the killer in Scream 2, and I liked Laurie Metcalf's performance up until the reveal.

I remember being quite disappointed when I saw Scream 2 in the theater, because I thought Metcalf played it so over-the-top it became camp. I think that could have been a much more dark, twisted and tragic character, but it comes across as so broad I still laugh at her during the climax.

I'm way at the opposite side of the spectrum to you. I loved Metcalf's performance. Those eyes. She has some seriously psycho eyes. Plus I loved the pure rage that comes out of her after Sidney says "You're as crazy as your son was".

Cate Worthing & Natalia Crescendi - Scream RPG 3

You know what they say, "If you can't stand the heat, get off the Mickey Rourke sex grill".

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 13:16 

I'm way at the opposite side of the spectrum to you. I loved Metcalf's performance. Those eyes. She has some seriously psycho eyes. Plus I loved the pure rage that comes out of her after Sidney says "You're as crazy as your son was".[/quote]

I actually enjoy her performance now, since I can now just appreciate the film for what it is free of my huge expectations at the time. However, I still don't know if you can call her performance "believable." It certainly is a very theatrical performance (eyes rolling, hands waving, etc.) and not one that is intended to be naturalistic.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 00:28 

There's also a clue given away because it is obviously a double ettendre. It is the scene in the hospital with Mickey and Sidney on the couch. Sidney says something about how she knew this wasn't over and Mickey says "You are not alone Sid"

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 12:41 

I realized it was Mickey when they were viewing the tapes and it switched over to someone stalking the victims... I didn't even think about it possibly being Joel (which it could of been). my mind went straight to Mickey.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 17:23 

Was anyone else expecting Debbie? I remember joking saying "Ha I bet she's the killer" in no did I think I'd be right.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 00:29 

DanYMA6[Banned] wrote:
I just watched Scream 2, and I remembered that the first time i watched it, back in... 1998 i basically guessed the killer lol

Gale and Dewey are watching crowd footage! When suddenly another video appears on screen, and its someone with a video camera spying on the victims... and WHO has a video camera in the movie? Mickey :) lol anyone eles noticed???

Yeah, it was WAY to painfully obvious! That's why I love and appreciate Scream 3 so much. Regardless of its repugnant one-liners and tame nature, I totally love the fact that the killer was so outrageously hard to figure out. LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 07:47 

Adamantium wrote:
Yeah, it was WAY to painfully obvious! That's why I love and appreciate Scream 3 so much. Regardless of its repugnant one-liners and tame nature, I totally love the fact that the killer was so outrageously hard to figure out. LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? As soon as Roman was 'killed' off-screen and found 'dead' it was pretty obvious to me he was the killer. It's actually comparable to the moment in Scream 2 where Dewey and Gale see the camera footage, maybe even more obvious.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 08:01 

Scream 3's outcome was a liabilty not an asset, if not for the fact that Roman was assumed and confirmed dead. At the end of the day you just can't make that work here.
And if not for that, for the realization that in scenes like the one wher ghostface simultaneously attacks 4 people at once, takes a vase to the head and shakes it off like Jason voorhees, was in actuality, mouth breathing stuttering, neurotic Roman ..... "th-th-thomebody's trying to keww my movie."
Makes me appreciate Scream 2 so much more because even if you didn't know, at least it makes sense.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 16:06 

It worked fine for me. It made Roman out to be a smart killer, not just "disappearing" for the night. After he was "confirmed" to be dead, all suspicion was off him. I loved that! It's way too lame and obvious when certain characters just disappear for x-amount of time. If you're paying attention, you can tell who hasn't been on-screen AND hasn't been killed. It's WAY too obvious.

Stratego was too smart for it though.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 18:38 

Adamantium wrote:
It worked fine for me. It made Roman out to be a smart killer, not just "disappearing" for the night. After he was "confirmed" to be dead, all suspicion was off him. I loved that! It's way too lame and obvious when certain characters just disappear for x-amount of time. If you're paying attention, you can tell who hasn't been on-screen AND hasn't been killed. It's WAY too obvious.

Stratego was too smart for it though.

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, Adamantium. I haven't seen enough of your posts. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. But I've come across a few people who honestly feel the same way about Scream 3 as you've expressed in your post, so for them and for YOU if you ARE serious:

Ofcourse it has nothing to do with being smart or not. Sure, with the second viewing everything seems obvious. But did you notice that certain characters would disappear for an x-amount of time the FIRST time you saw those movies? Probably not, most people didn't. I can honestly say that I didn't think of Stu once because of all the suspense and thrill and everything that was going on in the finale. Most of the time you just forget about those characters. Granted, it has been overdone so much by now, it has become cliche and very noticable. The thing with Roman is that his 'death' stood out too much. He's the only one who isn't killed on screen and then Gale checks his pulse and 'confirms' he's dead? Now that's incredibly cliche and also very suspicious. We didn't see his death and we have to be TOLD he's dead, they're telling us what to believe. This is more 'in our face' than characters that just disappear and that's why it was more noticable. This movie is still partly a murder mystery/whodunnit, so if you're looking for clues, here's a big one! I've seen too many Murder She Wrote episodes to fall for that one. I think it would have worked a little bit better if they had handled it like an old slasher, Roman just disappears, for a moment the other characters ask where he is and he is forgotten about and not seen until the finale where his severely maimed body suddenly pops up/drops down for shock effect. Then there's a chance the audience is misled by the believe that this was the only purpose of his disappearance, to surprise us because we had no idea what happened to him and didn't expect for him to show up like that. Perhaps there could also have been the Billy-effect, where we are supposed to find him suspicious until he is found brutally murdered. Perhaps this was the whole idea, but it was executed very poorly.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 00:39 

Didn't remember who Mickey was, like some of the others. Ironic as now he's my favorite killer!

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 19:14 

The FIRST time I watched the film, I actually figured it'd be Mickey. To me, the secondary killer is always the easiest one to predict (I mean, COME ON, who didn't see Stu, Mickey or Charlie coming??) because they need to satisfy some very specific criteria. Stu, Charlie, and Mickey all had very obvious dialogue that led us to believe it could be them. Essentially, the anti-Randy in every film turns out to be a killer. Any character that challenges Randy as the #1 horror aficionado turns out to be the killer.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 00:32 

Williamson>Kruger wrote:
Essentially, the anti-Randy in every film turns out to be a killer.

This even - or especially - works for Roman, what with his claiming, "All I ever wanted to do was make a real, classic love story. And the studio said they'd let me - I just had to do a scary movie for them first." Randy wouldn't look down on horror in this manner or view it purely as a means to an end. Also, Randy was apparently going into film as a career field and Roman (Two-syllable R-name?) was in the "going through the motions" position of director - which isn't Randy's likely production style in the least. Not to mention that in 3, Randy suddenly has a sister we never knew about and we quickly find that Sidney's brother we never knew about was Roman - inverting the "revealed" characterization of Randy once more.

Obviously, some of this is probably more circumstantial or haphazardly thematic than intentional but, nevertheless, it suits your "theory."

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 23:06 

Yep, I agree. This is largely how I pointed out Charlie very early in Scream 4...

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 21:48 

Ghostface_Craven wrote:
That's why it never gets old going back and watching these films. You just seem to find more and more tidbits that you wouldn't have noticed the first time around.

Agreed! When I first watched Scream I was completely blown away by the duel villains, but when I re-watched it I noticed that when someone is being murdered Billy and Stu aren't seen on screen together. It was one or the other.

Mickey also surprised me because I forgot about him. However, when you re-watch the scene in film class the banter between him and Randy gets pretty heated when he tries desperately to prove that a "Sequel" can outshine the original.

But it doesn't matter because all the Scream films are pretty amazing.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 01:31 
Site Admin

I don't agree the killer was given away. There's enough red herrings and reasonable doubt along the way in Scream 2 (nay, any of them) that unless they clearly said/showed the killer's identity prior to the climax, it wasn't given away. In a good whodunnit, it's only upon reflection or second viewing that the reveal seems so clearly displayed beforehand - Scream 2 kinda, Scream 1 definitely. The later sequels fail miserably at this.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 03:17 

I thought the total opposite.. Unless I've missed something this whole time I thought that the recording the murders thing in Scream 2 hinted at Debbie far more than it did Mickey. On the first watch of course I didn't notice these things at all but I didn't see that it gave Mickey away at all. I never really picked up on anything the first time, except that I thought it was Lois and Murphy lol. But after a few watches you do start to notice those things. By the time I noticed the recording thing was a clue, I knew it wasn't Joel obviously as I knew the killers. First instinct was to think Debbie as she would have had a camera man of her own. It could have been Mickey but clearly somebody was filming while the other was killing and going by a couple of other responses people believe Mickey was filming as well as murdering, that would be impossible..

As somebody asked a question if I believe Debbie killed anyone (excluding Randy) I would say yes. I strongly believe Phil was murdered by Debbie due to the whispering in the stall and the wording and I also believe CiCi was a Loomis kill. I think she got a couple of the earlier ones because she wanted to make Sidney know Ghostface is back, her personally. I think she allowed Mickey to kill the rest in the manic "We gotta catch this f*ck" moments because those kills were ultimately not important to Debbie. I believe ALL attacks that happened to Sidney, Dewey and Gale to be Debbie's doing. Except in the Dewey/Gale scene as both Ghostface's are clearly present. Debbie stabbed Dewey and chased Gale and attacked Sidney. Debbie in my view would not have allowed Mickey to even attack Sidney or anybody responsible for Billy's death.

This is a little off topic but anybody else feel Debbie was the best Ghostface? I've seen so much hate for her but to me she is the best, best motive, best plan, best everything.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 04:05 

I think Stab clip with Tori and Luke was another clue about the identity of the killer. "Yeah, your mom left town, she's not lying in a cemetary somewhere."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next